Six months ago, if anyone had asked me if I had planned on being a lifer (a national guard member fulfilling a 20 year contract and retiring), I would have said hell no. I would have rudely laughed in the face of whoever asked such an absurd question.
I felt I had been dealt a raw deal. I was experiencing lack of quality training and an overall feeling of unpleasantness. I couldn't help but dread drill weekends and plot (unsuccessful) ways to escape. I watched my dad suffer through his fair share of unpleasantness. It's not a foreign concept in the military to grin and bear it. And some people are more successful at it than others.
I would have adamantly said no, until 4 months ago when I entered the recruiting command. I don't know if anyone knows this, but I thoroughly enjoy speaking to people. This has been a perfect outlet for that. Today, I boarded (kind of like an interview) for a permanent AGR (active guard reserve) position in Mankato. It would be a three year renewable contract.
I can't say I'm not excited. I'll me promptly promoted to SGT and I'll continue to do what I love. I feel like I'm carving my own path in the National Guard and slowly making a name for myself. I love all of the wonderful things I hear about my dad and I love to see how far his branches reach, but at some point I want to be known as SPC or SGT Crotteau. I don't want people to know me as SGM Crotteau's daughter. I want to work my ass off to prove I'm worthy of such an honor.
No comments:
Post a Comment