Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Maybe Hercules isn't a bad name afterall...

Yesterday, Austin came into my and Zach's room to cuddle. We were talking about Hercules when he casually asked, "Hey Jack, how did Hercules get in there?" I know, from previous experience, that utilizing the technique of distraction is not effective when it comes to Austin. He wants and needs answers.

I suggested we find him some big brother books from Amazon, that might just give him the answer to his many, many questions he has about Hercules. We went upstairs and picked out a handful of books that Austin liked. I was just about to purchase them when Zach joined us upstairs. I went to readjust on the couch when I felt as if I had peed in my pants. I discreetly went to the bathroom, hoping I could hide my embarrassing situation. I remember thinking, "and so it begins." I had heard plenty about pregnancy incontinence, but thought I was a little early on in my pregnancy to be having issues already.

Instead, when I went into the bathroom, I discovered that my pants were soaked with blood. I called for Zach and he immediately called his sister in law to watch the boys. In the time that passed until she arrived, I couldn't stop sobbing. The amount of blood indicated to me that the day would end in a loss.

We discovered, as Zach raced us to the nearest hospital, that the Camry can reach 115. To me, it didn't feel like we were moving fast enough. We soon discovered that the nearest hospital lacked the facilities, machines and doctors to care for a bleeding pregnant woman. They transferred us to the Mankato Clinic Urgent Care (trying to save us an ER bill). Once again, we jetted off in the Camry. The bleeding had yet to show any sign of slowing down.

After visiting the Mankato Urgent Care, they booked us an all inclusive stay in the hospital overnight. The rest is kind of monotonous, no eating, no walking and a lot of discomfort. The doctor ordered a comprehensive ultra sound. The bleeding had significantly slowed down and the hospital discharged me the next morning (4/18) with moderate bed rest.

On 4/19, we set off again for the hospital. The bleeding had gone from absolutely nothing to a huge concern in a matter of seconds. We found ourselves housed in a hospital bed overnight once again. Thankfully, this time we were able to meet with a doctor who actually seemed intent on providing us real answers on why this was happening. The placenta had began tearing away from the uterine wall in two places and was causing significant bleeding. Hercules isn't in danger as of right now, but the danger increases if the two places don't have time to heal. It could begin to impact the amount of nutrients Herc gets.

I know now that I was kept overnight the first night because of the amount of blood loss. We are very, very fortunate that the baby is ok. I honestly didn't see a scenario on Sunday that ended with me coming home from the hospital with Hercules safe and sound inside of me.

The only cure is taking it easy. This isn't something I'm generally accustomed to, but knowing the stakes makes it a bit easier. I'm home now, resting in bed. Zach has created a "limited excuse for moving" environment. Most things I need are within reach. My only exceptions for movement, courtesy of doctors orders, are food and bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment