(some names have been changed to protect identity)
Since I was little, I remember anxiously awaiting spring. I couldn't wait until the first real Saturday of the season... when I could wake up extra early and jam into the car with other eager family members. The passengers were the spotters, impatiently scanning the road for a beacon of hope as the driver would also scan, but less fervently.
When someone finally saw our beacon of hope, a neon sign proudly proclaiming "GARAGE SALE!" they would yell "Turn here! Turn here!" We would do a sort of drive by... see what there was to offer. And of course, we would almost always stop. Do not judge a sale by it's appearance, I was raised to believe. A treasure was always waiting to be found.
And still, although the methods in Iraq are slightly different, the tradition continues here in glorious Basrah. Maybe we'll be driving along in the car, when suddenly, Cheryl spots a chair. DAVE STOP! And alas, there is the finely constructed chair, which will later be used for viewing movies... or rather sleeping through them. At that same "sale" I was also blessed to find my night stand. With a bit of dust off, my little find is now fully stocked with snacks and entertainment... all within an arm's reach of my bed.
But the best find, for me, as of yet, was actually spotted by my dad. While my room had a chair (acquired from the tent I used to stay in...I'm hoping I can smuggle it home somehow) and my nightstand and even a foot locker (it came with the room), it lacked any drawers to put my precious few possessions into.
I cannot tell you how I obtained the Rubbermaid drawers, but I can tell you how two individuals, named Davis and Jack, obtained the aforementioned drawers. Davis showed Jack theses drawers that were on a large overhang that was about 10 feet from the ground. Davis and Jack searched for a ladder, but to their dismay, they found none. So, Davis decided to stack some paper boxes and with the help of what appeared to be (of course I wasn't there, but so I was told) some super kind of Spiderman powers, Davis climbed up onto the ledge. This was shocking to Jack, because she... he... had never seen Davis climb like that. Davis got the set of drawers and dropped it down to Jack and climbed back down just as nimbly as he had climbed up. Then Davis and Jack left the building, but Davis realized that Jack didn't have her... his... umm..."special defense mechanism" on her... him... and so Davis darted back inside before Jack could remember where she... he... had left it. And Davis came back and said that he couldn't find it. That's when Jack realized that Davis's running had been in vain... because Jack hadn't left it in the building.
Apparently, Davis and Jack are also quite the little garage salers,apparently =]
I hope you guys are doing well. It's 2:30 A.M. on Tuesday morning here.Last night I went to choir practice. It went pretty well... I guess next Sunday I'm doing a very small solo. I tried to explain that I haven't done this stuff since I was in 10th grade... but it seems they have selective hearing. So, wish me luck on that. It isn't a big deal... but I will probably still be nervous.
Dear Jack (I mean Jacki),
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will ace the solo as you do everything else. Love and prayers for you all.
Granny H
Jacki,
ReplyDeleteSounds like your family traditions are still running strong! I'm glad to hear that you and your dad get to spend time together! If you see "Uncle" Chuck please give him a hug for me! By the way, I love the podcast and the article about you guys. That was way cool!
Heather
Nice photo of you and David!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.theredbulls.org/article227