Happy Belated 4th of July! I just arrived at my new home for next week, Camp Buering, Kuwait. It took quite a bit to get here, including the transport of 300 troops and around 70 contractors, well over 1,200 duffle bags, 2 pit stops in undisclosed locations, 23 hours of travel, and 2 convoy trips. It was, to say the least, pretty intense. However, I'm up and at em. We got here and the first thing I wanted to do was write you guys a quick note before anyone else wakes up and I won't have the chance. It's currently 4:55 am.
We actually arrived in kuwait approximately 7 hours ago. However, when we first arrived to Kuwait City, Kuwait, we had to wait for our armored guards to arrive. I was one of the guards on the bus, with my weapon and loaded rounds. They didn't anticipate any trouble, but just in case we had armed guards and then armed trucks also.
We arrived at a different base, only to have to wait once again for a different convoy to come pick a portion of us up that would be moving on immediately to Buering. I was one of the lucky few. And once again, I was chosen as an armored guard. Basically, it entails keeping your eyes pealed and making sure the driver keeps his distance for security reasons.
Anyways, we got here and went through two hours of briefings, and now most people are settled into the tent sleeping. I don't want to sleep because I'm afraid I won't be able to wake up until tonight... and then I'll never get adjusted to the sleep schedule :/
I have some pictures, but I'll have to transfer them to the thumb drive and bring them into the MWR (it's basically a 24-hour rec center for the troops. it offers free internet, movies, and all that sort of stuff).
I'm heading to mass here in a little bit. But I just wanted to jot something down quick to let you guys know I was thinking of you. Love you all and I can't wait until I can call!
<3 Jacki
Glad to hear that you made it to Buering okay! Not much longer and you will be seeing Dad!! Best of luck to you kiddo! Stay safe and keep your head down!
ReplyDeleteWith love,
Heather