Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bonus Points for Limericks




What was formally known as Martin Luther King Jr. Day has been formally changed to Martin Luther King Jr Rebel Day by the privates at Fort Huachuca. While many received their "phase" 5 privileges (phase 4 means you basically have no privileges... you can't go off base or wear civilian clothes and you have curfew.... phase 5 means you can do whatever you want off duty), those who didn't took advantage of this holiday to sneak off base, rebelling against the "man"... or at least the sergeant.

Packs of phase 4 could be seen off base at the mall in Sierra Vista, the closest town to Fort Huachuca or at hotel parties anywhere from Sierra Vista to tuscon throughout the 4 day weekend (we had friday through monday off). However, some were less sneaky than others and they were apprehended and given an article 15 (meaning they can take rank, pay, or can give you extra duty) within the hour.

I was among the smarter or possibly more fortunate soldiers. I spent part of my weekend indulging in phase 5 privlidges, although I am only phase 4. We call this phase jesus or phase platinum if your not religious. Anything goes as long as you don't get caught.

On Sunday I checked out the mall. And maybe I spent just a little too much money... ok. more than likely I definitely did. so sue me. Monday me, bentley, alvardo, and boyer were tourists. We visited Boothill Graveyard, a cemetery full of people who died in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. They died from crazy things like hangings or being murdered and dumped into a mine shaft. My favorite, wow that sounds morbid, gravesite was the only one that had a limerick on it. Therefore, it was automatically granted star quality by me, because of course on MLKR day I have that sort of authority. It said “Here lies Lester Moore, Four slugs from a .44, No Les, no more.” It’s unfortunate that my name cannot be made into a cool limerick (side note… if you can think of one… you win bonus points toward an imaginary prize. It’s ok to ooh and aah at this time)





After Boothill Graveyard, we checked out some other stuff that was in the same area. Nothing was to cool to write home about though. We then drove to Bisbee, a town that is basically built into the side of the mountain. It’s also pretty cool because the houses and the town in general have splashes of bright color, something that I’ve noticed that Arizona lacks. Mostly the homes are brown with little to no color. This town was a delightful surprise (I sound like I’m writing a lame review. My apologies.) Unfortunately, the camera kind of died. Well, it didn't kind of die. it did.

We returned for everything just in time for the recall formation (every weekend at 6:00 p.m. we have a formation. I have yet to find out exactly why we have it… I’m leaning towards an accountability check. but it only lasts 5 minutes.)

I think that if my sergeants read this… I would definitely be served a nice little article 15 to add to my collection. What a wonderful thought...






4 comments:

  1. Jacki Wacki pudding pie
    Kissed Doug and made him cry
    Now is where his parts lie
    (the last line was your dads)
    How many points is this worth??

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is more a limmerick for doug's grave... but still. 17 points for effort. you are currently in the lead. lol. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacki I hope you don't get into trouble. Love Harry

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh harry. i won't. i knew i should have left certain details out. now i have to admit i mildly exaggerated. are you guys happy?

    ReplyDelete