Thursday, June 2, 2011

No boots, no service.

Two nights ago, I made my way up to Fort Snelling to stay at the hotel on base, at the recommendation of the boss man. For some reason, people peg me as the type of person who is habitually late. While this may have been true in my younger years, I have arrived on time and even (gasp) early on multiple occasions. I took this advice and solemnly accepted. I was, after all, being paid to stay the night at a nice hotel (the hotel on base isn't fancy, but it's definitely a couple steps up from a Super 8 or even an AmercInn). And I didn't want to arrive late for in processing (I can't remember if I mentioned this. If I didn't... I was asked to join the AGR program and in processing is basically just an opportunity to fill out A LOT of paperwork). Arriving late for in processing is a good way to not in process and be essentially fired. I had to be at in processing by 8:00, which really means at least 7:45.

So this morning I woke up at 6:00 and put on my uniform. I put my socks on, my shirt followed by my pants. I quickly put my hair into a slick sock bun and put on a dash of make up. I slipped on my ACU jacket.

I searched for my boots. And facepalmed. My worst military fear had come true. I remembered every piece of my uniform, except my boots. I instantly went into panic mode. I called a guy from my office, who called the other guy in my office and as a team, they found someone who would be at the same place that could bring me a pair of boots.

I casually made my way out of the hotel. In my socks. Down three flights of stairs and across the parking lot into my car. I then drove my car around to the front of the building. Walked through the front door, and placed my key in the key box. I looked admittedly suspicious. I then drove to the ROC (recruiting operations command), but not without ordering a caramel frappaccino (no whip, but still the caramel drizzle), in my socks of course, along the way. I felt like a fool the entire time.

When I got to the ROC, I shrunk down in my seat... hoping nobody would see me bootless in my car. An explanation would only ensue in my embarrassment. I sat there for 30 minutes like this before my two size to small boots came. I shoved my fat feet in there and suffered through the day, but not without reward. On June 16, I will officially be a part of the AGR program and will be promoted to SGT shortly after. It's nice to feel like I finally took a couple of steps forward (with the appropriate sized boots).

No comments:

Post a Comment