Anna has tried, and succeeded too often (if only momentarily), to escape from the grasp of the Lien family. At first, her attempts were sly, sneaking through a barely open door to visit her weekday boyfriend, Rufus. More recently, her attempts have escalated. She has taken advantage of Austin's weakness, which is trust, on more than one occasion. Just the other day, Austin let her walk to the mailbox. He left her there, came back inside to let us know she was out. When he went to retrieve her, Anna bolted.
Anna is by far the friendliest dog I have ever owned. It is her curiosity that ultimately gets the best of her. Her eagerness to meet other dogs (and I suspect her eagerness to encourage other dogs to revolt against their owners or "stick it to the man") causes her to go to great lengths to escape.
Today, was no exception. After getting home from work, I decided it was the perfect time for Anna and I to go for a nice lengthy walk. After starting out on our walk, I realized many other dog owners had the same idea. Anna, of course, exhibited typical Anna behavior. She gained my trust by being a delightful walking companion. However, shortly after gaining that trust, one her furry cohorts would show up, and Anna would pull me over to meet them. She didn't care if there was traffic, puddles, or other obstructions.
Her last attempt to introduce me to a friend ended in her momentary escape. The clip on her leash broke and she realized she had limitless freedom. The glimmer in her eye said it all. Thankfully, her only plan at the moment was to go to her little friend. I can only assume she was hoping that she could assist the mutt in it's pursuit of freedom as well.
As I dragged Anna the six blocks back to our house (because it was a retractable leash that had broken), I feel like Anna got one last kick in while I was down. She tugged me in towards the road, just as a car drove through a massive mud puddle. Lucky Anna, I shielded her from the mess. Unlucky for me, we still had three more blocks and I was covered in winter sludge.
This is my life with Anna. Just when I think we make some leeway as friends, she does something like this. I love her, but I don't have to always like her.
Anna is by far the friendliest dog I have ever owned. It is her curiosity that ultimately gets the best of her. Her eagerness to meet other dogs (and I suspect her eagerness to encourage other dogs to revolt against their owners or "stick it to the man") causes her to go to great lengths to escape.
Today, was no exception. After getting home from work, I decided it was the perfect time for Anna and I to go for a nice lengthy walk. After starting out on our walk, I realized many other dog owners had the same idea. Anna, of course, exhibited typical Anna behavior. She gained my trust by being a delightful walking companion. However, shortly after gaining that trust, one her furry cohorts would show up, and Anna would pull me over to meet them. She didn't care if there was traffic, puddles, or other obstructions.
Her last attempt to introduce me to a friend ended in her momentary escape. The clip on her leash broke and she realized she had limitless freedom. The glimmer in her eye said it all. Thankfully, her only plan at the moment was to go to her little friend. I can only assume she was hoping that she could assist the mutt in it's pursuit of freedom as well.
As I dragged Anna the six blocks back to our house (because it was a retractable leash that had broken), I feel like Anna got one last kick in while I was down. She tugged me in towards the road, just as a car drove through a massive mud puddle. Lucky Anna, I shielded her from the mess. Unlucky for me, we still had three more blocks and I was covered in winter sludge.
This is my life with Anna. Just when I think we make some leeway as friends, she does something like this. I love her, but I don't have to always like her.
No comments:
Post a Comment