Friday, May 29, 2009

Iraq... here I come

Hello there. Minnesota is still wonderful, as always. I thought I should update you on a couple of things.

1. I have had so much fun in such a short time. I've spent a lot of time with my momma and my girlfriends. I couldn't ask for a better time spent before deploying. I really have just tried to make the most of each day... even if that means staying up far past little Jacki Wacky's bed time (usually up till 3 in the morning and up at 9 the next morning. It's a good system.)

2. I will be going back on active duty on June 11th. I should be reporting to Fort Benning a couple days after. Which means, I'll be in Iraq before the end of the month. I've every emotion racing through me right now, nervous, scared, excited, happy, sad, upset... you get the picture. I think the best word right now is weird. I feel really weird. I think to myself "You are a 19 year old, normal American girl. You like shopping and your friends. Love to watch movies and spend time with your family. Your mommy and daddy are your idols. You are a monster when it comes to super nintendo. You love to curl up with a good book and spend the night that way. You can kick Harry's butt in cribbage, any time any day (does $1.97 ring a bell?). You are normal in every way except for the fact that you are going to Iraq." And it's always the last part that gets me.

3. Oh. And another thing. My most recent project is writing to the editors and owners of magazines and book stores to try and get reading materials for my unit. My dad said that it is something they are seriously lacking. I've wrote to at least 15 different sources... and a lot of them seem very willing to help. Just thought I would pass that tidbit along.


<3 Jacki

1 comment: