It was another glorious day at Fort Huachuca. Bright and early, yawning at the crack of dawn. It was so glorious. The sun didn't even come up until two hours of us being outside. Most of my platoon had to do a ruck. However, I'm on profile recovery for my hips and knees. I tried to get on the ruck to join in the fun. However, that was a no go. "Sgt. Can I please ruck?" "No. Absolutely not." "So tomorrow I'm rucking huh?" "No. You will not be rucking." "Alright. So I should pack my ruck and be ready to go." "You will not, I repeat, will not be rucking." "Fine."
So instead, in true Foxtrot Company fashion, I was the Detail Queen. The detail crew left earlier than the rest of the platoon. We were going to be water support for a competition called the GATBY or something like that. Basically, GATBY participants have to complete all of these competitions, swimming, running, shooting, and a ruck march. A minimum of 15 miles and a minimum of 40 pound ruck. Two girls from my platoon were competing... and let's just say they were basically amazing. They ran the whole thing.
Anyways... my job was to be dropped off on the side of the road at 0430 hours. And then wait for them to run by so I could offer them my water. Me and my friend Duque just stood there. Waiting. It was 34 degrees. The smell of fresh skunk was in the wair. We just kept walking in circles, trying to stay warm and praying we would not have to run in case a skunk decided to show it's face. Finally, we constructed a help/sos sign and abandoned our post to explore our area. (see pictures)
This didn't bring any aid. However, 2 hours later our platoon came running... and they kept running. They didn't even want our water. I felt so hurt. I had stood there waiting for them to come, and then they just wave and keep running. Without my water. That was our only job. Was to just wait. and wait so we could give them water... and we failed. We failed miserably.
We got back to our bay at about 10. And crashed. It's hard offering people water who won't take it... like they say. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make the horse drink it.
I love you guys. It's been a while since I've posted because life at Fort Huachuca has started to pick up. Every day we have class, and then usually we're not released until 7 or 8 pm. It ain't cute. But only 40 days left in glorious Fort Huachuca... and then I'm home sweet home.
<3 Jacki
Jacki, I would take your water! I love you MOM
ReplyDeleteJacki,
ReplyDeleteYou may not have been able to "Lead a horse to water" but you sure could have messed them up some. Thanks for the laugh today, I needed it! I love you Jacki and hopefully we will be doing supper soon at a French place called "Le Tent in the Desert". Have you tried camel yet? That should be a T shirt for those back home.
Love you!
Dad