The other day, Austin carefully picked up a penny from the floor and examined it equally carefully. His eyes lit up as he exclaimed, "It's my lucky day!" (this is his catch phrase whenever he finds any denomination of money).
I suggested he run upstairs and tuck it safely into his piggy bank, but he slowly shook his head and examined it again before looking up at me, "I'm going to give it to pennies for patients. And Jack, if it's ok, I think I'll get my other monies out of my piggy bank too."
I'll openly admit that I had forgotten about the pennies for patients presentation we had seen at Austin's school the Friday before. They had put a plug in after Austin's class sang a Valentine's Day song for the school assembly (it was adorable, of course). After the pennies for patients presentation, a teacher suggested to not only ask parents for money, but for the students to consider contributing some of theirs as well. Groans erupted and looks of horror spread across the older children's faces. They were all on board until their money was brought into the mix... now, they weren't so sure.
I knew what they were feeling. I grew up hoarding my halloween candy from my parents and siblings, constantly convinced that my piggy bank plump full of pennies was at risk, and fairly keen on keeping my toys my toys.
I'm ashamed to admit that I'm still that way with a lot of things, although they are a bit more mature. Money. Friends. The boys' good clothes.
Austin's unwavering kindness and generosity definitely put somethings into perspective. I've rarely seen those selfish traits I have enforced in myself over the years in Austin or his brothers. They share toys without question and play games without exclusion. They give without thinking.
I think I have a lot to learn from these boys. I don't know how I was lucky enough to become a part of their lives, but I'm thankful for it everyday and every time I watch them be kind and considerate human beings.
I suggested he run upstairs and tuck it safely into his piggy bank, but he slowly shook his head and examined it again before looking up at me, "I'm going to give it to pennies for patients. And Jack, if it's ok, I think I'll get my other monies out of my piggy bank too."
I'll openly admit that I had forgotten about the pennies for patients presentation we had seen at Austin's school the Friday before. They had put a plug in after Austin's class sang a Valentine's Day song for the school assembly (it was adorable, of course). After the pennies for patients presentation, a teacher suggested to not only ask parents for money, but for the students to consider contributing some of theirs as well. Groans erupted and looks of horror spread across the older children's faces. They were all on board until their money was brought into the mix... now, they weren't so sure.
I knew what they were feeling. I grew up hoarding my halloween candy from my parents and siblings, constantly convinced that my piggy bank plump full of pennies was at risk, and fairly keen on keeping my toys my toys.
I'm ashamed to admit that I'm still that way with a lot of things, although they are a bit more mature. Money. Friends. The boys' good clothes.
Austin's unwavering kindness and generosity definitely put somethings into perspective. I've rarely seen those selfish traits I have enforced in myself over the years in Austin or his brothers. They share toys without question and play games without exclusion. They give without thinking.
I think I have a lot to learn from these boys. I don't know how I was lucky enough to become a part of their lives, but I'm thankful for it everyday and every time I watch them be kind and considerate human beings.
No comments:
Post a Comment