Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Veterans Day
Veteran's Day has gone unrecognized by me for most of my 18 years of existence. Only last year did I start to fully appreciate it after joining the Army National Guard in February. And this year knowing that I'll be celebrating this holiday surrounded by glorious sand in 2009, it means even more. I received so many texts messages saying thank a soldier for serving today. And all I could think was... hey now. I'm one of them. It was a weird feeling. I haven't done anything to be thanked for... yet. It was like the lady who came out of nowhere in the bread aisle at Walmart. She gave me the biggest hug and said with a thick southern accent, "I just wanted to say thank-you for your service. You are doing an honorable thing." That was the last time I wore my uniform in Walmart... or anywhere in public really. Not because I'm not proud to wear it... but because I don't quite feel like I deserve a thanks just yet. Give me a month and I'll be ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment